Fall 2019: I am currently in Utah, not accepting new students at this time. Thanks for your interest!
Click on a category below to jump to that section, or simply scroll down to read them all.
- High school students
- College students
- Conversation practice
- Adult learners (I especially love giving beginners a jump-start!)
- Graduated with B.S. in Spanish from UW-Madison (2011). I believe real-world experience speaks louder than paper degrees, but I did major in Spanish in college, and that’s relevant to share. 🙂
- Lived in Madrid, Spain for two years. I spent the 2009-10 academic year studying at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, and returned to Spain in 2011-12 as an English teacher. This means I speak Castilian Spanish.
- Editor at FluentU for 2.5 years. FluentU is a language learning platform that uses real-world videos and transforms them into fantastic language-learning tools. During this time I spent each day writing and editing posts about the best tips, techniques, and resources for language learners. What does this mean for you? I have a huge toolbox of tips and resources to share with you!
- Learned Spanish and French to fluency. I didn’t begin learning French in earnest until I was out of college (French 101 my senior year of college was my very first interaction with the language), so I’m familiar with the long, slow journey of learning a language during spare time as an adult.
- 15+ years language learning/teaching experience. Through learning Spanish in the classroom from middle school through college, learning to read Korean at age 23 via self-study (while teaching English in South Korea), tutoring private English lessons both abroad and in Wisconsin, and working professionally for FluentU, I have been on both sides of the language learning journey (as learner and teacher) for over 15 years.
- Patience and encouragement. I have an encouraging approach, natural optimism, and know that learning a foreign language requires courage and is worth celebrating. I especially love encouraging adult beginners!
- Real-world immersion. The more frequently you come into contact with Spanish, the quicker you will learn it. Furthermore, the more authentic these interactions are (i.e. listening to a Spanish chart-topper as opposed to a textbook worksheet), the stronger your connection and learning will be. I incorporate real-world materials/contexts into my lessons and at-home assignments.
- Personalization. One of my strengths is paying attention and noticing details. I bring that into lessons by noticing frequent mistakes or tendencies—so we can focus and correct them earlier—as well as your personal interests. I also point out improvements so we can celebrate those small wins!
- Growth mindset. I help learners cultivate a growth mindset, one of my personal values. Here is a post I wrote a few years ago detailing how you can use a growth mindset to learn languages:
- $20 / 30-min session
- $25 / 45-min session
- $30 / hour session
Groups: Want to take classes with a friend or small group? Contact me to discuss you and your friends’ needs, and learn about group rates.
Free Spanish Resources
If you can’t afford tutoring at this time, you can still totally advance your Spanish skills this summer! Here are some of the articles I wrote for FluentU about learning Spanish:
- 7 Common Spanish Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make
- 12 Unconventional Ways to Practice Spanish
- How to Immerse Yourself in Spanish When You Don’t Live Abroad
- The Complete Guide to Spanish Accent Marks
- Everything You Need to Learn Castilian Spanish
- The Ultimate Guide to Spanish Immersion with TV Shows from Spain
You can find many more great resources at their free Spanish learner blog.
If you’ve read all of the above and feel excited about learning with me, please contact me to schedule a free 30-minute session where we can meet, no-pressure, to discuss your needs and see if this will be a good fit for the both of us.
- rebeccarosethering [at] gmail [dot] com
- (608) six nine five – 1437
You are also welcome to contact me if you’ve read all of the above and have further questions.
I look forward to meeting you!